Music plays an important part in the Liturgies of the Church of Saint Peter in Chains. Since the opening Mass on 2 October 1938, worship has been enhanced by the inclusion of music. The High Church tradition of music and liturgy is maintained today by many people who serve the Church through the choir, children’s choir, various music groups and as cantors. Saint Peter’s has also played host to several other musical events because of its excellent acoustics. These include performances by the Stevenston Musical Society, the Saint Mungo Choir, the Capernaum Choir, the Strathclyde University Chorus and North Ayrshire Schools Senior Choir. The Church houses a splendid two-manual pipe organ built and installed in June 1967 by J W Walker and Sons of Ruislip who also supplied the organ for the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King in Liverpool.
The Church of Saint Peter in Chains is a Catholic Church in Ardrossan, Ayrshire, Scotland. Saint Peter in Chains belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Galloway. It is a relatively young Church having been opened in 1938. Most Churches in the surrounding towns are well over a hundred years old. The Parish hopes to re-energise the local Church through authentic witness that can inspire people to rediscover the message of Catholicism.
We hope to play an active part in the New Evangelisation by striving to be “missionary disciples”. This website exists for two reasons. Firstly, it informs the community of Church services and other events and secondly, it records the history of the parish. These aims form our mission statement.